This coconut butter glaze makes a dreamy topping for cookies, cakes, and other pastries. It's a healthier alternative to powdered sugar glaze that's maple-sweetened and cane sugar-free. Minimally sweetened, vegan, and paleo, and so tasty!
If you're looking for a less-sweet, sugar-free, or paleo option for topping cookies, cakes, scones, or other pastries, allow me to introduce you to this coconut butter glaze. It's richer and less-sweet than a typical powdered sugar glaze or icing. It's what I use to top my favorite shortbread-like sugar cookies. It's super simple to make and so tasty and versatile!
This healthy glaze recipe comes together with just 6 ingredients.
- Coconut butter (aka coconut manna) forms the base. This is made from whole coconut that's been pureed smooth (different from coconut oil which is just the fat from coconut).
- Coconut oil makes the glaze extra smooth and rich.
- Maple syrup adds a touch of sweetness. Other liquid sweeteners should work too.
- Salt and vanilla sharpen the flavors.
- Milk or plant milk help the glaze emulsify and give it a drizzle-able consistency.
How to Make Coconut Butter Glaze
This recipe takes just a few minutes of active time to make. It makes about 1 cup of glaze, enough for a full batch of sugar cookies.
- Make sure your coconut butter has been melted and stirred to combine.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Whisk over low heat until melted, smooth, and combined.
- Use right away, or let stand for a thicker consistency.
How to Use Healthy Paleo Glaze
This glaze is so tasty, you can just lick it off of spoons! But it also makes a dreamy topping for:
- Almond Flour Oatmeal Cookies
- Almond Flour Sugar Cookies
- Gluten-Free Almond Flour Scones
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread or Pumpkin Muffins
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Coffee Cake
Bojon appétit! For more Bojon Gourmet in your life, follow along on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest, purchase my award-winning gluten-free baking cookbook Alternative Baker, or subscribe to receive new posts via email. And if you make this coconut glaze recipe, I’d love to know. Leave a comment and rating below, and tag your Instagram snaps @The_Bojon_Gourmet and #bojongourmet.
Paleo Coconut Butter Glaze for Cookies & PastriesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (90 g) well-stirred, melted coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons (55 g) maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (omit for pure white glaze)
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup (60 g) milk or plant milk
- In a small saucepan, combine the coconut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and milk.
- Place over low heat and whisk constantly until the icing is smooth.
- Drizzle over cakes or spread over cookies. If it's too runny, let cool for a bit before using. Or let cool completely for a thickly spreadable icing.