14 flours. 140 recipes. 0 glutens. ALL DESSERT.
Watch the trailer:
Have you indulged in a golden corn flour biscuit that tastes like sunshine, or experienced the earthy sweetness of chestnut flour? Did you know teff flour smells of malted chocolate milk, and mesquite flour of freshly-baked gingerbread? Set aside your bland all-purpose flour to celebrate the compelling flavors of a wide array of nut- and grain-based alternative flours that are packed with flavor and are good for you, too; from peak-of-season fruit pies nestled in an irresistibly crunchy crust, to cookies that positively melt in your mouth.
Alternative Baker: Reinventing Dessert with Gluten-Free Grains and Flours – 100+ recipes featuring corn, oat, chestnut, almond, buckwheat, sorghum, and other gluten-free flours will fill your kitchen with sweet treats that burst with flavor every month of the year.
- Amazon U.S., UK, Canada , and Australia
- Barnes and Noble
- Indie Bound
- anywhere books are sold
What you’ll find in Alternative Baker:
- Recipes for every baking level, from “flour child” to “grainiac”
- 92 beautifully photographed base recipes, many with seasonal variations, for a total of 140 recipes
- 95% brand-new recipes, with a few favorites adapted and reshot from The Bojon Gourmet
- All-natural, from-scratch recipes for a wide variety of diets, including vegan, nut-free, and dairy-free; no gums ever
- US (cups, teaspoons) and Metric (grams, milliliters) measurements
- Everything you want to know about gluten-free whole-grain and nut-based flours including shopping and storage tips, nutritional information, and flavor profiles
- Tips and tricks on how to bake like a boss
- Breakfast Desserts
- Rustic Fruit Desserts
- Cookies and Bars
- Custards, Puddings and Spoon Desserts
Foodies are loving Alternative Baker:
“Alanna has rescued gluten-free baking from the pasty, gritty clutches of white rice flour! Her recipes have a pastry chef ’s sensibility, but they overflow with the generosity and warmth of home baking. This book will make you run to the pantry to see what you can bake first, whether you happen to be gluten free or not.”
―Megan Scott and John Becker, bestselling authors of Joy of Cooking and JoyOfCooking.com
“Alanna is such a gifted baker, recipe writer and food photographer. For gluten-free eaters who love to bake, this cookbook is a must.”
―Dana Shultz, author of Minimalist Baker’s Everyday Cooking and MinimalistBaker.com
“I want to eat everything in Alanna Taylor-Tobin’s beautiful book, Alternative Baker. And the best news? With these gorgeous gluten-free recipes created by a former pastry chef, I can! I’ll be baking these treats with delight.”
―Shauna James Ahern, author of Gluten-Free Girl Every Day and GlutenFreeGirl.com
“Like alternative baking pioneers Kim Boyce and Alice Medrich, Alanna Taylor-Tobin shows that treats baked with off-the-beaten-path flours aren’t just a boon for the gluten free, but taste richer, more distinctive and often just plain better, too.”
―Kristen Miglore, author of Food52 Genius Recipes and Creative Director of Food52.com
- Buckwheat Orange Double Chocolate Cookies | fix feast flair
- These Cherry + Chocolate Oat Bars Are The Perfect Dessert/Breakfast Hybrid | mindbodygreen
- Triple Coconut Tres Leches Cake with Honey-Vanilla Summer Fruit | The Pig and Quill
- Ginger Goat Cheese Cheesecake with Honey Roasted Figs & Hazelnuts + Alternative Baker Cookbook | Snixy Kitchen
- Coconut Vanilla Chiffon Cake – Alternative Baker
- Triple Coconut “Tres Leches” Cake with Mango & Lime | Vegetarian ‘Ventures
Make a recipe from the book? I want to see! Take a photo and tag it #AlternativeBakerBook on Instagram.
Have a question about the book? Leave a note below!
Happy alternative baking, from my kitchen to yours!