Herbed Kale Salad with Persimmon, Pomegranate and Maple-Cumin Dressing
Marinated in a toasted cumin maple dressing and tossed with a mess of herbs, pomegranate, persimmon, and walnuts, kale salad never tasted so good. Goat cheese optional.
Prep: 15 minutes
Total: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 large or 4 smaller servings
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin seed
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 bunch dino kale, stems removed, leaves chopped into 2" pieces , (6 cups loosely packed)
- 1 cup loosely packed parsley and/or cilantro leaves
- ½ cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1 cup toasted walnuts , (or pecans)
- 2 large fuyu persimmons, (or apples)
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- optional: crumbled goat cheese, feta or ricotta salata
Place the cumin in a small, dry skillet and toast over medium heat, shaking frequently, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Let cool, then grind in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. In a bowl or measuring pitcher, whisk in the olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, and salt. Place the prepared kale leaves in a large bowl and toss with the dressing, using your hands to squeeze and squish the kale; this helps to make it tender and absorb the dressing. Set aside while you prepare the remaining ingredients, at least 5 minutes or up to 30 minutes.
Add the herbs, nuts, and fruit to the bowl and toss well to coat. Toss with crumbled cheese if using and serve immediately, or chill for up to several hours.
With inspiration from Yummy Supper.
Feel free to use any combination of soft herbs that you like here, including dill, fennel fronds, tarragon, cilantro, basil, or celery leaves.
Nutritional values are based on one of two large servings without cheese.