Tempeh BLTs with kimchi, Avocado + Chipotle Mayonnaise
Toasted bread piled high with tempeh bacon, kimchi, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, and chipotle mayonnaise makes a speedy meal for busy people.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
Total: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 sandwiches
- 2-3 tablespoons good-quality mayonnaise (such as Spectrum Olive Oil)or vegan mayonnaise
- 1-3 teaspoons chipotle puree
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil (or other mild cooking oil)
- 6-8 strips tempeh bacon, halved crosswise
- 4 slices sturdy pan bread, toasted
- 1 medium-sized, ripe avocado, halved, pitted, removed from peel, sliced
- 1 large, ripe tomato, sliced
- several thin slices of red onion
- 1/4 cup kimchi
- two handfuls sprouts (such as arugula sprouts)
- 4 small lettuce leaves (such as little gems)
Make the sandwiches:
Heat the oil in a wide skillet set over medium heat until it shimmers, then add the tempeh strips and fry on the first side until golden, 1-2 minutes. Flip and fry on the second side until golden, 1-2 more minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
Spread the chipotle mayonnaise in a thin coat on each of the four slices of toasted bread. Top two of the slices with the ingredients:tempeh baconsliced avocadosliced tomatosliced red onionkimchisproutslettuce
Top with the remaining slices of bread and devour.
Feel free to make these sandwiches to your taste – the exact measurements will vary depending on the size of your bread.
I prefer a pan bread with a bit of character from either sourdough or whole grains / seeds. We've been using oatmeal molasses bread from Marla and Josey Baker's Wonderbread (as pictured here).
Nutritional value is based on one of two sandwiches.
Calories: 579kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 440mg | Potassium: 1082mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4335IU | Vitamin C: 28.8mg | Calcium: 176mg | Iron: 4.6mg