Banana Rum Upside-down Cakelets
These cakelets remind me of really easy sticky buns, with bananas instead of nuts.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Total: 45 minutes
Servings: 12 cakes.
- vegetable oil, for greasing the pans
- 2 ounces salted or unsalted butter, cut into 12 equal pieces, (4 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup packed grated panela, (or muscovado or dark brown sugar)
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled, sliced diagonally into 12 pieces each
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed grated panela , (or muscovado or dark brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil , (such as sunflower)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons half and half or milk
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375º.
Lightly oil 12 standard muffin tins with the vegetable oil. Place a piece of butter and 2 teaspoons of the sugar in the bottom of each cup. Place in the oven for 10 minutes, until the mixture is melted and bubbling. Remove the pan and let cool slightly. Arrange two banana slices on the bottom and two along the sides of each muffin cup.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, dairy, rum and vanilla in a separate bowl, then stir the wets into the dries until just combined. Spoon the batter into the cups; it will come almost to the top of the pans.
Bake the cakelets for 15 - 20 minutes, until puffed, golden, and springy when pressed with a finger. Immediately turn the cakes out onto a pan; they will be drippy and messy! Cool at least 10 minutes, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted from Sweet! by Mani Niall.
Nutritional values are based on one of twelve cakes.
Calories: 252kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 148mg | Potassium: 271mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 195IU | Vitamin C: 3.4mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 0.8mg