Milk Tea Rice Pudding
Ultra-creamy and not too sweet, this rice pudding gets a flavor boost from rice cooked in black tea, all topped with a dollop of sweetened condensed milk.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Total: 55 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
- 2/3 cup uncooked short- or medium-grain white rice (such as arborio), (135 g)
- 2 cups brewed strong black tea (such as Ceylon, Keemun, or English Breakfast; use 4 teabags), (475 ml)
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk (more if needed, divided use), (415 ml)
- 1/3 cup organic granulated sugar, (65 g)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk or sweetened condensed coconut milk, to taste, (120 ml)
- seasonal fruit for serving (optional)
In a medium saucepan, combine the rice and tea. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, until the rice is nearly done, about 20 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups milk and all of the sugar and salt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, 15-20 more minutes. Add additional milk if the pudding becomes too thick.
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup milk with the egg. Add 1/4 cup of the hot rice mixture to the bowl and whisk again (this keeps the egg from scrambling when added to the hot pudding).
Stir the egg mixture into the pot and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens to your liking, about 2 more minutes. Stir in the butter.
Serve the pudding warm or cold with a spoonful of sweetened condensed milk and fruit if you like.
Adapted from A Common Table.
To make this into a classic rice pudding, cook the rice in water instead of brewed tea and add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon along with the butter.
Nutritional values are based on one of four servings.
Calories: 347kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 215mg | Potassium: 287mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 320IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 2.5mg