Summer Berry, Yogurt and Buckwheat Honey Fools
Strained yogurt (a.k.a. skyr) whipped with heavy cream makes a fluffy base for summer berries kissed with buckwheat honey. A naturally gluten-free recipe.
Prep: 20 minutes
Total: 20 minutes
Servings: 3 -4 servings
- 2 cups mixed summer berries such as blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and/or huckleberries , (245 g) (strawberries hulled and cut into chunks)
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat honey (or other honey), plus extra for drizzling, (30 ml)
- 1 cup cold, heavy cream, (235 ml)
- 3/4 cup whole-milk strained or Greek yogurt, (175 ml)
- seeds from 1/2 a vanilla bean , (or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1 tablespoon organic granulated sugar , (or honey)
For topping the fools (optional):
- a few pinches of bee pollen
- a handful chopped toasted pistachios or other nuts
Rinse the berries and drain well. Place in a medium-sized bowl, drizzle with the 2 tablespoons honey, and mash into a chunky sauce. Chill until needed, preferably not more than 10 minutes or so as the honey will continue to draw moisture out of the berries and the mixture will be harder to layer.
In a large bowl, combine the cream, yogurt, vanilla seeds and sugar. Whip until the mixture holds firm peaks.
Layer the cream and berries into 3-4 small glasses, beginning and ending with the cream. The fools can be covered and chilled for up to several hours, or served immediately. To serve, drizzle with buckwheat honey and top with a big pinch of bee pollen and a dusting of chopped pistachios.
With inspiration from Nigel Slater's blueberry yogurt fools from Ripe via Food52.
These fools will look the prettiest if served shortly after preparing, but they can be covered and chilled for up to several hours. Do add the toppings just before serving.
If you don't have buckwheat honey on hand, I think a little balsamic vinegar added to the berries and honey would add a similar oomph.
Nutritional values are based on one of three servings.
Calories: 416kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 50mg | Potassium: 186mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 1215IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 115mg | Iron: 0.2mg