Gluten-Free Oatmeal Teff Chocolate Chip Cookies & Cookie Mix Gift in a Jar
Malty teff and hearty oats add toothsome texture and flavor to these chunky chocolate chip cookies. Layer the ingredients in a jar for a pretty gift.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Total: 20 minutes
Servings: 15 (2.5-inch) cookies
For the cookie mix
- 3/4 cup (100 g) teff flour (preferably Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup (27 g) tapioca flour/starch
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (80 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 g) organic granulated cane sugar
- 1 cup (90 g) GF old-fashioned rolled oats
- 6 ounces (170 g) coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate (60-70%)
- 3/4 cup (90 g) walnuts, toasted, cooled, coarsely chopped or broken
- Need: 1 wide-mouth 1-quart or 1-liter canning jar
- 8 tbsp (113 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- flaky salt for sprinkling (optional)
For the cookie mix
In a small bowl, sift together the teff flour, salt, and baking soda. Pour into the jar to form the bottom layer, rapping the jar on the counter a few times to flatten the flour into an even layer. Spoon the tapioca flour gently over the teff flour to create the second layer, rapping the jar on the counter again. Spoon in the brown sugar, packing it down gently to form a flat layer. Repeat with the granulated sugar, oats, chocolate, and nuts.
Seal and attach the following directions to the jar.
Printed directions for tag:
Pour contents of jar into large bowl, breaking up any clumps. Stir in 8 tablespoons melted, cooled unsalted butter, 1 large egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Scoop 2-3 tablespoon balls onto 2 lined baking sheets, sprinkle with flaky salt, and bake at 350ºF until edges are set and tops are soft and puffed, 10-15 minutes.
Adapted from Alternative Baker.
Take care to underbake these cookies as per the instructions.
If you have the time, cover the dough and let stand 1-2 hours at room temperature before baking. Or scoop the dough into balls and chill airtight until ready to bake, up to 1 week.
For extra dense, chewy cookies, give the pan a few firm raps on the counter when you pull them from the oven. And be sure to have a glass of milk or unsweetened almond milk on hand.
Nutritional values are based on one of fifteen cookies.
Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 143mg | Potassium: 119mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1.7mg