Coconut Curry Shakshuka
Traditional shakshuka gets an upgrade with curry spices and creamy coconut milk.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Total: 35 minutes
Servings: 3 -4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ a large onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered and sliced crosswise into ¼-inch thick strips
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- ¾ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 (18-ounce) jar diced tomatoes (I like Jovial brand)
- the thick cream from 1 (13-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 4 - 6 fresh farm eggs
- cilantro or basil leaves, for garnish
- lime wedges, for serving
- crusty bread, flatbread, or steamed rice, for serving (I like slices of GF baguette brushed with olive oil and toasted on a griddle)
In a 10-inch non-reactive skillet with a lid (enamel or stainless steel), heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and beginning to caramelize, 8-10 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, paprika, ginger, and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds. Add the salt, tomatoes, and coconut cream. Bring to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened to a stew-like consistency, 10-20 minutes. Taste, adding more salt if you feel the dish needs it.
Remove the stew from the heat. Make 4 - 6 divots in the stew and crack an egg into each one. Cover the pan and return to a bare simmer. Cook until the eggs are gently set, 5-10 minutes. Serve the shakshuka topped with cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and plenty of bread on the side.
Lightly adapted from Vegetarian Heartland by Shelly Westerhausen.
If you don't plan to serve this all at once, you can skip cooking the eggs in the stew and instead fry a sunnyside up or over easy egg or two to order.
Nutritional values are based on one of three servings.
Calories: 461kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 546mg | Sodium: 436mg | Potassium: 833mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2640IU | Vitamin C: 74.6mg | Calcium: 163mg | Iron: 7.4mg