Roasted pumpkin, gruyere cheese and fried sage leaves top a crispy gluten-free flatbread that’s a cinch to put together and perfect for holiday festivities.
*Congratulations Tamela Thomas, you’ve won the Maple giveaway! Tamela says, “Maple syrup goes nicely in yoghurt with roasted walnuts, in a maple balsamic vinaigrette for a fall salad, over sweet potato pancakes, as an ingredient for a glaze over salmon, in a ginger cookie recipe for leaf cookies, and the cakes, nice autumny, spicy, aromatic cakes that can be made with maple syrup!” This gal knows her maple. Now I’m hungry…*
I’m Alanna, and I’m a cheese addict.
Cheese addiction is a thing thanks to the amino acids found in casein, the dairy protein that concentrates during the cheesemaking process. These chains of amino acids get partially broken down during digestion, and wind up resembling morphine compounds that can attach to the opiate receptors in one’s brain, creating feelings of euphoria followed by a desire for more. This explains my passion for cheese, and it also explains why I enjoyed morphine so much when a nurse stuck some in my IV during a particularly nasty bout of food poisoning years ago – it must have reminded my body of eating a nice wedge of aged chèvre. This also explains why Jay and I can’t keep our hands off this flatbread.
Or maybe it’s just really tasty…
Sarah and I have been styling shoots for the New York Times recently – an amazing opportunity that fell into our be-aproned laps thanks to our friend photographer Craig Lee. I’ve been enjoying making recipes each week by the likes of Melissa Clark, Mark Bittman and Sam Sifton, and I especially appreciate the culinary knowledge and inspiration I’ve been picking up along the way.
A recent favorite was this savory pumpkin tart, which gets stuffed with pressed winter squash cubes, whole garlic cloves, and caramelized onions, baked, then filled with heavy cream (!) – an intriguing recipe, and completely delicious to boot. The only thing I wished it had was…dairy-crack! As I was making it, I began to envision a cheesy, gluten-free version made with my flaky pie dough, which would be perfect for today’s virtual pumpkin party hosted by Sara at Cake Over Steak.
In the end, I went for time- and calorie-saving pizza dough instead and whipped up this easy flatbread made from my gluten-free crust recipe, which is loaded with whole grain flours and free from any gums. The dough takes a few minutes to stir together, a bit of rising time, and then it’s spread into a baking sheet and doused with olive oil. After a blind bake to crisp it up, it’s topped with roasted pumpkin, red onion, and loads of gruyere, baked until bubbly, then scattered with fried sage leaves and garlicky sage oil.
Cut it into wedges and bite into hot, crispy, cheesy, dairy-crack. The tender squash add a sweet earthiness to the snack, onion and garlic give it a satisfying savoriness, and the fried sage leaves taste musky and herbaceous.
Serve squares as an appetizer with glasses of crisp white wine, and you won’t know which addictive substance is making everyone so happy.
- 1 batch gluten-free pizza dough
- olive oil, salt and pepper as needed
- a smallish (1½ pound [680 g]) pumpkin (sugar pie or other edible variety), or other winter squash
- 8 ounces (225 g) gruyère cheese, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 small bunch sage leaves, stemmed
- 2 medium garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 450ºF (230ºC).
- Make the pizza dough and while it rises, prepare the other ingredients.
- Use a T-shaped vegetable peeler to peel the pumpkin and cut it in half with a large, sharp chef's knife. Scoop out and discard the seeds and strings. Slice the pumpkin flesh into ½-inch (1 cm) thick strips. Place the squash in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet rubbed with olive oil. Drizzle the squash with 2 tablespoons more olive oil, sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Place on the upper rack of the oven and roast until tender and just beginning to turn golden, 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- When the dough has risen, line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Scrape the dough onto the pan, drizzle with another tablespoon of oil, and use your fingers to gently spread the dough into a thin, even layer that completely fills the pan, smoothing the edges as best you can. Drizzle with a bit more oil, cover the pan with a second baking sheet or large cutting board, and let rise in a warm place until the dough feels quite spongey to the touch, about 15-20 minutes. Uncover the pan and place in the oven on the lower rack. Bake until the edges are golden and the top of the dough is dry and firm, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and top with the gruyere, squash, and onion. Return to the oven, on the upper rack this time, and bake until the cheese is bubbling and the dough is golden, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a smallish (8-inch) skillet and heat over a medium-high flame until it shimmers. Add the sage leaves in an even layer - they should sizzle and hiss - and cook, tossing gently with tongs, until the sage turns dark green, 2-3 minutes. Remove the sage to a small plate; it should crisp up as it cools. Put the garlic through a press and into a small, heat-proof bowl, and pour in the hot sage oil. Let sit until needed.
- When the flatbread has baked, scatter with the sage leaves, and drizzle with the garlicky sage oil leaving behind the garlic for another use (unless you are a garlic fiend, in which case, by all means, add it as well). Top the flatbread with a sprinkle of flaky salt and coarsely ground black pepper. Carefully remove from the pan and place on a large cutting board, cut into pieces, and serve immediately.
- Should you have leftover flatbread, store it airtight in the refrigerator and reheat pieces in a cast iron skillet set over a low flame. This will crisp the crust by the time the cheese is heated through.
*Many thanks to Cogworks for sponsoring The Bojon Gourmet this month! Hop over to their site for a beautiful selection of wooden serveboards made in the U.S.*
*This post is part of an epic virtual pumpkin party! Check out the amazing array of pumpkin love from around the blogosphere below.
B. Britnell • Pumpkin & Goat Cheese Macaroni
A Couple Cooks • Pumpkin Spice Almond Butter
I Am a Food Blog • Roasted Pumpkin and Pork Stuffed Shells
Well and Full • Harissa-Spiced Pumpkin Gnocchi
Loves Food, Loves to Eat • Pumpkin Pork Burrito Bowls
Girl Versus Dough • Pumpkin Challah
Snixy Kitchen • Black Sesame Pumpkin Mochi Cake
Hungry Girl por Vida • Pumpkin Chocolate Crumb Cake
Donuts, Dresses and Dirt • Pumpkin Spice Latte Truffles
Two Red Bowls • Pumpkin & Caramelized Onion Galette
The Frosted Vegan • Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Gingersnaps
Warm Vanilla Sugar • Dulce de Leche Pumpkin Ice Cream + Affogato
An Edible Mosaic • Pumpkin Spice Latte Snack Cake with Brown Butter Buttercream
Kitchen Konfidence • Yeasted Pumpkin Waffles with Candied Ginger
Chocolate + Marrow • Pumpkin Scones with Cinnamon Butter Swirl
The Pig & Quill • Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes with Pumpkin Spice Caramel + Coconut Cream
Salt & Wind • Apple Cinnamon Pumpkin Muffins with Pepita Streusel
With Food + Love • Creamy Pumpkin Polenta with Balsamic Roasted Beets
A Cookie Named Desire • Pumpkin Crepes with Cinnamon Ginger Cheesecake
Nommable • Pumpkin Moon Pies
Feed Me Phoebe • Thai Pumpkin Curry with Shrimp and Bok Choy
The Yellow Table • Coconut-Curry Pumpkin Soup
Ginger & Toasted Sesame • Pumpkin Ricotta Gnudi
The Crepes of Wrath • Pumpkin Pie Cake
The Swirling Spoon • Pumpkin Hand Pies
Erin Made This • Pumpkin Rye Waffles with Coconut Caramel
Beard and Bonnet • Pumpkin Spice Pizzelle Ice Cream Sandwiches
My Name is Yeh • Pumpkin Slice and Bake Cookies
Earthy Feast • Pumpkin-Stuffed Turnip-Ravioli with Pepita Pesto
Broma Bakery • Pumpkin Pie White Chocolate Brownies
Floating Kitchen • Pumpkin Beertail with Tequila and Spiced Rum
The Sugar Hit • Pumpkin Everything Bagels
Sprinkled with Jules • Pumpkin Spice French Macarons
Feast + West • Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Toffee Bark
Jojotastic • Pumpkin Cinnamon Rimming Sugar
Fix Feast Flair • Pumpkin Spice Japanese Cheesecake
Appeasing a Food Geek • Pumpkin Ale Cake
Tending the Table • Roasted Pumpkin with Tamarind and Coriander Chutney
Long Distance Baking • Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream + Pumpkin Pancakes
My Blue & White Kitchen • Roasted Pumpkin Risotto with Crispy Prosciutto
Fork Vs. Spoon • Pumpkin Buttermilk Pudding
Alyssa & Carla • Pumpkin Tea Bread (in a Coffee Can!)
Twin Stripe • Pumpkin Spice Toffee
Le Jus d’Orange • Lentil-Stuffed Acorn Squash, Crispy King Oyster Bacon + Aged Goat Cheese
The Scratch Artist • Japanese Pumpkin Temaki with Ginger Kale Chips
Brewing Happiness • Caramelized Apple Pumpkin Muffins
Blogging Over Thyme • Homemade Candied Pecan Pumpkin Ice Cream Drumsticks
Heartbeet Kitchen • Pumpkin Swirled Mashed Potatoes
The Speckled Palate • Pumpkin Brown Butter Streusel Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt • Pumpkin Gingersnap Pie
Style Sweet CA • Chocolate Stout and Pumpkin Checkerboard Cake
Fork to Belly • Pumpkin Orange Brulee Pie
Tasty Yummies • Grain-Free Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
Påte á Chew • Pumpkin Almond Cake with Almond Butter Frosting
Holly & Flora • Pumpkin Pie Martini with Coconut Cream + Homemade Pumpkin Spice Syrup
Southern Soufflé • Sorghum Pumpkin Soufflés
Okie Dokie Artichokie • Creamy Pumpkin and Chorizo Pasta Bake, Cheese Tortellini, Sage-Mascarpone Sauce, Toasted Hazelnuts
Kale & Caramel • Pumpkin Goat Cheese Polenta with Brown Butter Thyme Mushrooms & Kale
The Little Epicurean • Maple Pumpkin Butter Brioche Toast
Vigor and Sage • Maple Pumpkin Harvest Smoothie
Tried and Tasty • Whole Wheat Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
Sprouted Routes • Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Risotto with Sweet & Spicy Roasted Pepitas (gluten free)
The Fauxmartha • Baked Pumpkin Donuts
So… Let’s Hang Out • Grain-Free Apple Crumble Pumpkin Pie
Wit & Vinegar • Pumpkin Flaxseed Dog Treats
Dunk & Crumble • Pumpkin Roundup
Biscuits and Such • Pumpkin Pound Cake
SugarHero! • Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Pound Cake
A Little Saffron • Spiced Pepita Brittle
Farmette • “Tis Different” Pumpkin Pie