Smoked paprika and chipotle add vibrant flavor to a piquant, brick red broth studded with chunks of creamy sweet potato and tender lentils for an ultra-nourishing vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free sweet potato lentil tortilla soup topped with all the fixings.
There’s been a ton of baking going on in the bojon kitchen lately, which is why I’m extra-excited to share (and eat!) this sweet potato lentil tortilla soup today. It’s full of protein-rich lentils and tender bites of sweet potato, all hanging out in a brick-red broth laced with chipotle, cumin, smoked paprika, and lime. It’s one of those dishes that feels rich and nourishing, but light and clean all at once. It’s a perfect antidote to these cool fall days, and I’m planning to make it during the depths of winter when I’m craving bright colors and flavors.
Speaking of cravings, I have a handful of book events around the Bay Area this winter – many of which will be full of treats from Alternative Baker – and I’d love to see you there! More detailed info and links here.
Another reason for my soup excitement? Because today is Cynthia’s (of Two Red Bowls) virtual babyshower hosted by Alana and Stephanie, and we’re all bringing bowls of yummy goodness to share (but only virtually – sad!) There’s pudding. There’s pot pie. There’s cobbler, cookies, and biscuits. There’s soup, soup, and more soup. It’s an orgy of comfort food, and right now, under a blanket, scarf, sweater, and cat, I couldn’t be more tempted by all of these cozy bowls. (Ok, it’s only 55ºF out in SF – I’m a wimp.)
I’ve been a devoted Two Red Bowls fan from the beginning, swooning over Cynthia’s one-of-a-kind recipes and images. She inspires me every day with her eye for light and texture – I just want to live in her photos forever. She’s one of the kindest souls around, too. I’m so happy for her, B2, and their new addition. Luke, aka B3, is going to be one well-loved (and well-fed) kiddo. Congratulations, #ThreeRedBowls!
In honor of the Three Red Bowls, I made bowls of red soup. I’m a big fan of sopa azteca, posole and brothy tortilla soups – any of those Latin American dishes with spicy, brick-red broth. But it’s nearly impossible to find good vegetarian versions out (the exception being the posole at Gracias Madre, which is delicious.) This soup is an easy way to get that fix.
The broth is spiced and tangy like sopa azteca, with plenty of umami smokiness from chipotle, smoked paprika, and toasted cumin. It’s quick to throw together, super satisfying, and it keeps brilliantly for several days, becoming more and more tasty in the fridge. I concocted it last spring when, craving the chickpea tortilla soup in The Love and Lemons Cookbook but trying to make a dent in a jar of lentils I had leftover from an epic legume shoot for The New York Times with Sarah, I found this recipe. I mashed the two together, and it was sweet potato lentil tortilla soup love at first bite. A friend came by for a bowl, and though I swore up and down it was vegetarian, she didn’t believe me – she kept insisting I’d used meat in the broth from all those earthy flavors.
Top a bowl with a squeeze of lime juice to add a tangy counterpoint to the tomatoey broth, some crunchy tortilla strips, a handful of cilantro, a crumble of salty cotija cheese, and you have yourself a meal in a bowl.
Scope out the other bowl-licious offerings down below. Thanks for reading!
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sunflower oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons toasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt (more or less depending on saltiness of vegetable stock)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) tomato paste
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and diced
- 2 medium-sized jewel or garnet sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into a large dice
- 1 cup (200 g) French green lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups (1 liter) vegetable stock
- 4 cups (1 liter) water
- 1 tablespoon chipotle puree (more if you like; or 1-2 chipotles in adobo, seeded and chopped)
- 14 ounces (415 ml) canned diced tomatoes
- 4-6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, halved and cut into strips
- 2-4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- large handful cilantro leaves, chopped
- 4 ounces cotija or queso fresco, crumbled
- 1-2 limes, cut into wedges
- avocado chunks (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- In a large, heavy soup pot, warm the olive oil over medium heat until it shimmers. Add the onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 5-10 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and salt, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Work in the tomato paste, then add the carrots, sweet potatoes, lentils, stock, water, chipotle, and tomatoes. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer and cook, partially covered, until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender but still holding a shape, 30-40 minutes. Taste, adding more salt or chipotle if you like.
- To make the tortilla strips, heat a thin layer of oil in a wide, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add enough tortilla strips to fit in a single layer, and cook, stirring and tossing occasionally, until golden and crisp, 2-3 minutes. Remove and let drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining tortilla strips and oil.
- Serve bowls of soup topped with a good squeeze of lime, a nest of tortilla strips, and a bit of cilantro and cotija (and avocado and sour cream, if you like). The soup keeps well, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
I am a Food Blog | Mac and Kimcheese Dolsot Bibimbap
Fix Feast Flair | Dishoom’s Chicken Ruby Murray
The Fauxmartha | Mom Lunches
A Cozy Kitchen | Cornbread Chicken + Dumplings
Cake Over Steak | Salted Caramel Chocolate Crackles
The Pancake Princess | Stovetop Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Snixy Kitchen | Chicken Pot Pie with Chestnut Biscuits
Lady and Pups | Egg Florentine in Pullman “Bowls”
Betty Liu | Honeynut Squash Congee
Style Sweet CA | Date Bourbon Cinnamon Rolls
Warm Vanilla Sugar | Broccoli Quinoa Bowl with Avocado Sauce
A Beautiful Plate | Coconut Cauliflower Soup
Girl Versus Dough | Tomato Grilled Cheese Soup
Fork to Belly | A HUGE Hawaiian Fruit Bowl!!!
Donny Tsang | Chawanmushi
Wit & Vinegar | Jerk Chicken Chili
Constellation Inspiration | Salted Egg Yolk Custard Mochi
twigg studios | Katsu Udon Soup wth Popcorn Chicken Croutons
Edible Perspective | Acorn Squash Bowls with Pears, Pecans, and Vanilla Bean Cream
Coco Cake Land | Asian Bowl Cut Sugar Cookies
Southern Souffle | Sorghum Apple Biscuits In A Bowl
The Bojon Gourmet | Smoky Sweet Potato & Lentil Tortilla Soup
Flourishing Foodie | Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Soup
What should I eat for breakfast today | Little Bowl with Creamy Polenta, Cheese, Onions and Mushrooms
Top with Cinnamon | Squash & Crispy Kale Bowls with Pomegranate and Miso-Ginger Dressing
the broken bread | Roasted Celeriac + Fennel Soup
Fig+Bleu | Cauliflower Harissa Soup
my name is yeh | Corn Dog In A Bowl
Crepes of Wrath | Mini Scallion Pancake Challah Buns
O&O Eats | Persimmon Cobbler
Chocolate + Marrow | Parsnip + Potato Soup with Crispy Pancetta
With Food + Love | Caramelized Golden Beet Soup with Fall Roots + Garlicky Yogurt
Fork to Belly | A Big Hawaiian Fruit Bowl
The Pig and Quill | Slow Cooker Pumpkin Curry Beef Stew
Hungry Girl Por Vida | Rice Cooker Oats with Bruleed Bananas